Blessed with rich, natural assets, South Australia has provided minerals and energy resources to the world for more than 150 years.
Our state has a diverse and resilient mining sector headlined by significant deposits of copper, gold, iron ore, uranium, graphite and mineral sands. We are home to one of the world’s biggest copper, gold and uranium mines, Olympic Dam, and one of Australia’s significant copper-gold mines at Prominent Hill.
In the energy space, we are home to Australia’s largest onshore oil and gas province, the Cooper Basin. South Australia has 14 petroleum prospective basins, 12 of which are onshore. Two are currently commercial hydrocarbon producers.
South Australia also has world-class natural resources that are increasingly attracting investors in wind power, solar, geothermal and wave energy.
These vast natural resource assets are underpinned by a supportive South Australian Government, a highly skilled workforce and a respected regulatory framework creating an environment for low-risk, sustainable investment.
In South Australia, you’ll find:
- 23 per cent of the world’s and 80 per cent of Australia’s uranium resources
- 68 per cent of Australia’s economic demonstrated resources of copper
- a long-term strategy to triple copper production to one million tonnes within two decades
- 37.6 per cent of Australia’s total installed wind capacity
- support for exploration through the highly successful Plan for Accelerating Exploration (PACE)
- key targets for investment in low carbon energy generation and electricity production by renewable energy sources
- a globally-regarded robust and effective regulatory framework for oil and gas resources
- Award winning SARIG online application providing vital geological and geospatial information
- South Australian Drill Core Reference Library, which hosts geological samples recovered from over 130 years of exploration for minerals and energy resources
- the Mining and Petroleum Services Centre of Excellence that supports the development of local supply chains to provide high value-added products and services to the resources sector.